
My apologies for the delay in posting a new entry in this blog. Since the last time I posted an entry, there has been quite a lot remembering. The passing of icons such as Michael Jackson, Farah Fawcett and Patrick Swayze has reminded us about the necessity of keeping their images and/or recordings within our collective memory in order to keep them with us in spirit. I have been amazed at the outpouring of remembrance for Michael Jackson and how his videos are now immortalized for generations to come. These videos demonstrate how much of technology assists human memory in sustaining our collective history, which includes pop culture. We create pop culture and we sustain it through technology.
I've been at work on Ch. 4 of my dissertation, which examines the context for remembering along the U.S.-Mexico borderlands. Some of the topics I explore here include cultural memory, spatial memory, and subjective/communal memory. I hope to be finished with this chapter by the end of this month.
Today, I ran into Andrea Lunsford's bibliography titled "Memory and Media," which I highly recommend if you want to further study the relationship between memory and technology. The bibliography is also useful if you are constructing a course with the same theme.
I welcome my new followers and I encourage you to stay tuned for my upcoming announcement of a special website that features everything about rhetorical memory.


No comments:
Post a Comment