Monday, December 29, 2008

Memory in '09


Since my last posted entry, I've kept researching any and all readings on memory. My recent findings have been readings about remembering and the self. Some notable titles include "The Remembering Self: Construction and Accuracy in the Self-Narrative" (1994, Neisser and Fivush, eds) and Edmund Blair Bolles' "Remembering and Forgetting: An Inquiry into the Nature of Memory" (1988).

Also, added to my list of reads is Douwe Draaisma's "Metaphors of Memory: A History of Ideas about the Mind," which was affordable with shipping and all. Draaisma's monograph examines the many metaphors that have been used to describe memory throughout the span of time. Some of the chapters discuss classical memory, digital memory and what is termed "holographic memory". Included in the discussion is Freud's "Mystic Writing Pad". 

While I'm reading away, I must express how surprised I am the many transformations that this blog has undergone. First, the blog was created to examine memory in terms of remembrance and then strictly focused on rhetoric. Now, the blog has arrived at joining rhetoric and memory with recent postings about abolitionist rhetoric and the act of remembrance.

2009 will be the year when I might finalize this blog with my entire bibliography on memory and rhetoric. However, I may change my mind because I would want to add more sources about ethnic autobiography. I would even want to include bits and pieces of my own autobiography. Therefore, expect more in 09.

Wishin you all a rich and prolific new year!

No comments:

Trailblazers



create your own slideshow